Doula UK is the membership association of c. 700 birth and postnatal doulas in the UK, Republic of Ireland, and Channel Islands. Doula UK was founded in 2001 as a not-for-profit organisation, and is run by its members.
The world has changed along with our birthing and parenting practices. The needs of new families are sometimes forgotten and misunderstood.
We represent a new era of compassion; learning from the past and looking to the future. We nurture our membership, so they can unconditionally support the needs of everyone involved in pregnancy, birth and the postnatal period.
- Promote life-changing support for women in the childbearing year, regardless of circumstance
- Nurture the doula community; protecting parents and health professionals
- Advocate for better support for UK families
A member of Doula UK:
- Has completed a preparation course that means she has learned how to best offer the practical and emotional support you need
- Has been through (or is still going through) the Doula UK Recognition Process – a period of mentoring from a more experienced doula so that you can benefit from years of doula experience
- Is continually learning and developing through the membership community and support network of Doula UK
- Is recommended to have appropriate insurance and to provide clients with a clear, written agreement (ask them about that)
- Is committed to abiding by Doula UK’s Philosophy, Code of Conduct and Infant Feeding Guidance.
- Furthermore your confidentiality is protected by the Social Media Guidelines and safeguarding policies to protect you and your doula.
Doula UK is a membership organisation, and we trust that the information our doulas provide us with is truthful. However if we are made aware of any circumstance which we consider would preclude a member working with your family or in the presence of children, we will rescind membership immediately. Please ask your doula for references, and a DBS certificate if you feel it is necessary (please note that having a DBS certificate is not a condition of Doula UK membership).
Doula UK also has a complaints and feedback system if, for some reason, you are not happy with the service from your doula.
Read more about choosing a doula
Search for a doula
Support our work
Doula UK is a non-profit organisation mainly run by volunteers and reliant on membership fees and donations to do all the work we do.
Your support will help us to ensure women & families have access to life-changing support in the childbearing year – regardless of circumstance.